Plan a trip
We feel it helps to have a check list, even if you have been boating for years. So please feel free to use the list below and also visit our Facebook page if you feel you have more tips to share that may benefit others:
- Check weather forecast and tide times
- Check safety equipment eg flares, lifejackets, life raft are serviced and in date
- Leave expected date of return with the marina office
- Ensure charts are up-to-date
- Check your VHF radio. Your local Premier marina office can help with a radio check
- Take plenty of provisions
- Fill up with fuel at cost at your Premier marina before setting off
- As a Premier annual berth holder, our staff will move your boat to outside the lock with 24-hours notice (subject to availability)
- Check your destination marina has berths available, especially if it is hosting a big event. Remember, Premier Marinas' annual berth holders can use their 42 Free Visitor nights to berth at other Premier marinas
- Know your approaches to your destination marina, especially if arriving in the dark
- Be aware of navigation marks such as lighthouses and buoys
- Formulate a contingency plan in case of bad weather or mechanical problems. Choose a sheltered harbour like Chichester in the event of bad weather.
- If the weather looks unsettled, then head for Port Solent Marina, or Brighton Marina, where you are spoilt for choice with a wealth of activities ashore, to entertain crew members of all ages.
- Have a fire drill and a plan of action for emergencies such as man overboard