ROLEX FASTNET RACE START - SUNDAY 6 AUGUST 2017
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN jointly by the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth, the Harbour Master ABP Southampton and the Harbour Master Cowes to advise mariners that the Rolex Fastnet Race will start from the Central Solent between 1100 and 1240 BST on Sunday 6 August 2017.
2. The event is anticipated to attract up to 400 vessels, ranging from 9.15 metres to 21.5 metres waterline length, including cruising and racing yachts, and involving approximately 3000 participants.
3. The Start Line will be established between the Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes and Williams Shipping Buoy in position: 50 47.20N 01 18.55W, see Chartlet 1 here). Due to the number of competitors taking part, the start times have been staggered to take place by class at 10-minute intervals between 1100hrs and 1120hrs and at 20-minute intervals between 1120hrs and 1240hrs. The fleet will sail westwards towards the Needles and thence to the Fastnet Rock and then return to Plymouth.
4. A Spectator Zone has been established, as indicated on the Chartlet here; boats racing in the Fastnet Race are prohibited from entering the Spectator Zone.
5. The Race Committee, call sign “Ocean One”, will broadcast race instructions on VHF Ch28.
6. Prior to the start, all competing craft are required to pass through one of three identity gate check points: North Gate - An identity gate will be established between (4J) Hamblewinterseries.com in approximate position 50°48’.63N 001°16’.65W and a gate boat to the east. Middle Gate - An identity gate will be established between (4N) Flying Fish approximate position 50°47’.27N 001°15’.90W and a gate boat lying to the north. South Gate - An identity gate will be established between (8J) Charles Stanley in approximate position 50°46’.15N 001°17’.20W and a gate boat lying to the south.
7. All competitors shall maintain a constant watch for shipping movements and attention is drawn to Southampton Harbour Byelaws 2003, Byelaw No 11 ‘Moving Prohibited Zone’ and to ABP Southampton Notice to Mariners No 03 of 2016 (Port of Southampton – Precautionary Area (Thorn Channel)) which provides advice on the tracks followed by large vessels through The Precautionary Area in various tidal conditions.
8. Note: Under certain weather conditions the race may be started to the east, when the start line will be established between the Royal Yacht Squadron, Cowes and the South Bramble Buoy. The fleet would then sail through the Forts, then south of the Island and thence to the Fastnet Rock and Plymouth.
9. Further information on this event can be found on http://www.rorc.org
10. This notice will be cancelled on 8 August 2017.