Queens Harbour Master Portsmouth No 13 of 2019
to Tuesday, 31 December 2019
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth that following an accident whereby both side ropes of a pilot ladder parted simultaneously with the pilot on the ladder, an additional safety control measure is in place within the Dockyard Port of Portsmouth.
2. Masters of all vessels entering or leaving the Dockyard Port and taking a pilot are required to participate in this additional control measure. The Master must give assurance that the pilot ladder, or combination arrangement when the climb is greater than 9 metres, “…is properly constructed, recently inspected, in good condition and rigged as per SOLAS Regulation V/23 and IMO Resolution A.1045(27) ‘Required Boarding Arrangements for Pilot’…”.
3. The Master will be asked by Harbour Control, on VHF Ch 11, to give verbal confirmation of this in advance of the pilot transfer taking place, both inbound and outbound.
4. In the event that this control measure is not complied with, or the pilot detects that the ladder is not fit for purpose, the transfer will not take place and vessels may be directed to a safe anchorage.
5. Portsmouth LNTM 12/18 is hereby superseded.