Queens Harbour Master Notice to Mariners No 30 of 2019
to Saturday, 15 June 2019
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN jointly by the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth and the Harbour Master ABP Southampton, that as part of the IFA2 Interconnector Project, Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) disposal works are due to take place in the eastern Solent from 18 May – 14 June 2019 in order to dispose of identified items on the planned cable route.
2. An overview of the works area including the locations of the items of UXO is shown below. Items of UXO will be detonated in situ or moved to a designated area for disposal on a case by case basis.
3. The UXO disposal works are being undertaken by James Fisher Marine Services who will operate an ROV from the 98 metre Offshore Supply Ship GEOSUND (MMSI 9232694, Callsign LANR).
4. Vessels are requested to keep their distance, maintaining at least a 500 metre exclusion zone around the vessel and are to pass at minimum safe speed. Large vessels needing to pass within 500 metres, are to contact the pilot embarked in GEOSUND to agree a passing plan. In addition, all vessels should monitor VHF Channel 16, 12 or 11 for information regarding exclusion zones up to 1000 metres which may be placed around items of UXO prior to their planned disposal.
5. Two support Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boats (RhiBs) will act as marshals for each disposal operation. Warning calls will be made over VHF Channels 16, 11 and 12, at six and two hours ahead of detonation and then 30 mins, 15 mins, 10 mins and 10 seconds prior to detonation. Items on the route to the east of Nab Tower (east of location 180 on the chart above) are outside the Dockyard Port of Portsmouth and may only be notified on VHF Channel 16.
6. QHM Harbour Control and VTS Southampton will be kept informed of each disposal operation and can be contacted on VHF Channels 11 or 12 respectively.