Queens Harbour Master Notice to Mariners No 40 of 2020
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Queen's Harbour Master Portsmouth that Ballast Pile, Port Hand Lateral Mark located on the western side of the main channel just inside Portsmouth Harbour, is to be replaced with a larger 3-legged pile structure. The works are due to commence from 27 July – 7 August 2020.
2. The contractor for the works will be ML Dredging, using Baker Trayte Marine’s crane barge “ASNE” (LOA 40m) and two additional support vessels; tug “ST HELEN” and multi-cat “VOE III” in attendance. All vessels will display the appropriate signals when operating and will work daily from 0730 -1700 (Monday - Friday).
3. All works will be conducted from the western side of Ballast Pile with the new structure being fully completed and operational before the original pile is decommissioned and removed, therefore ensuring the navigation light Fl R 2.5s is available throughout. The new structure is expected to be no more than 2m due south of the current mark with all upper metalwork being red to enhance its visibility.
4. Mariners are requested to keep a good lookout and pass at slow speed while operations are being conducted. A listening watch will be maintained on VHF Ch 11 throughout.
5. QHM Harbour Control will be kept informed of progress and will de-conflict movements with other marine traffic as necessary. Harbour Control can be contacted on VHF Ch 11 or by telephoning 02392 723689 for the latest information.
6. Cancel this Local Notice to Mariners on 20 August 2020.