Queens Harbour Master Notice to Mariners No 28 of 2020
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN jointly by the Queen’s Harbour Master Portsmouth and Portsmouth International Port Harbour Master that there will be a temporary change in PEC renewal.
2. The COVID-19 pandemic has had considerable effect on marine businesses around the harbour. Reductions in service levels from harbour users and the furlough scheme will begin to affect eligibility for PEC renewal.
3. Due to this unprecedented pandemic, the Harbour Master Portsmouth International Port and the Queen's Harbour Master have risk assessed the issue, and the following exemptions to the regular conditions are permitted.
- The requirement for at least 6 trips in the three months preceding renewal is waived.
- The requirement to visit Semaphore Tower is waived.
4. The following conditions are to be noted:
- PEC holders must still have completed the 18 trips in total to renew.
- Semaphore tower is not open to visitors.
- If a PEC holder or Pilot has not completed a trip for more than 8 weeks, they shall conduct at least one inward and outward act, under the eye of a current pilot or PEC holder, who must be satisfied with the conduct of that officer.
- The pilot or PEC holder conducting the check trip will write a summary that the act has been conducted satisfactorily and submitted to Portsmouth International Port. This should be submitted with the monthly return.
- If the PEC holder requires familiarisation trips, they should not hesitate to call on the services of a pilot. Vessel operators are not to place financial pressure on PEC holders to resume service before they are familiarised and content to take their duty.
- Vessel Operators are to risk assess the re-introduction of officers following time off, and take appropriate control measures to ensure safety.
- The exemptions and conditions will be reviewed regularly, and removed as the situation allows.
- Extra PEC spot check trips will be conducted by Portsmouth Pilots to ensure oversight of PEC navigation, as restrictions are relaxed.
5. This LNTM is to remain extant until further notice.