Chichester Harbour Notice to Mariners No 12 of 2020
The Government has advised that from Wednesday 13 May, unlimited outdoor activity will be permitted in England. It is unclear whether this includes any, or all forms of boating, or something in between. The Department of Culture, Media and Sport have undertaken to clarify the position this week.
Government has also advised that people would be permitted to travel to other destinations in order to exercise, but that any activity will still need to be alone or with members of a single household and social distancing must be followed at all times.
Chichester Harbour remains open to vessels operating within government guidance.
It is incumbent on the Conservancy and other operators of marine facilities in Chichester Harbour to look after the safety of users and importantly the safety of their staff. In anticipation of a return to some form of recreational boating (subject to DCMS advice) the Conservancy have put in place the following measures and advice:
- Please follow social distancing guidance (stay 2 metres apart where possible).
- Conservancy jetties at Itchenor and Emsworth are marked with direction of travel and 2m spacing on the ‘T’ Head.
- Please wash your hands regularly.
- Visitor facilities will not be available for overnight stays, and no rafting.
- Please confirm that any facilities you intend to travel to are open and have agreed to receive you, both in Chichester Harbour and beyond.
- Maintenance piles are not available.
- Rescues pose a risk to both the casualty and the rescuer and there is likely to be reduced rescue response capacity in the Harbour. Please ensure that your craft is well maintained and that you sail within the limits of your abilities.
If social distancing requirements cannot be maintained, facilities may need more intrusive management or to be closed
Please continue take action to prevent the potential spread of infection. The latest guidance from the UK Government can be found here.
While we await further government guidance, we are content for harbour users to take exercise on the water in kayaks, paddleboards and the like, and that the owners of vessels on moorings can access them to confirm their safety.
To get in touch with our patrol team call CHICHESTER HARBOUR PATROL on VHF Channel 14, or telephone the Harbour Office on 01243 512301. In an emergency please call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.